Friday, July 22, 2016

Politics

Some of my favorite people hold opposite political views to mine. It's true. Scandalous? No. Awesomely American? Yes.
We still hang out, help each other out, work together, pray together, hold each other's hands during hard times and raise each other's kids. And we do it all without hate, ego, or a secret agenda to get each other to change affiliations or politics. We do it because we love each other. We do life together. We, the peeps, are what democracy looks like. Different people, different viewpoints, working together.
Whenever I watch or read the news, I wonder how we will get through this most divisive election. Will America riot against itself? I find myself in a panic.
And then I remember: We are already the bridge across the political divide. We are already the example. If only politicians would kneel down from their high and distant ivory platforms and take a look waaaaaay down here at the people doing life. We have different views, and yet, looky here, we are having dinner together!
So don't let the media make enemies for you. Remember your people. They are the "other political party"--they are in your family, your car pool line, maybe even your own bed. They serve you in commerce and vice versa. This is America.
We are the opposite political people and yet we all live together in community. We are doing it!
I don't know where this puts us or if my thoughts really matter, but I feel like nothing will break us unless we buy in to the notion the "being right" is bigger than being in community.
So here's my vote: I vote for taking care of my people. I vote for dropping my neighbors' kids off at school. I vote for helping kids with writing, making soup for a sick friend, BBQing backyard with people I love, donating time/money/resources to those in need, walking my dog and saying hello to the people around me, and yes, even the one with THAT bumper sticker.
I vote for working hard, praying harder and not believing that we are on the opposite side of the fence all the time in all things. Because, in my reality, we are not.
If we humanize the political parties by looking at our neighbors who disagree with us, we can replace ire with compassion. We love these people, remember?
While our politicians and the media run wild fueled by dissention, we, the "way down heres" can continue to lead by example.
Oversimplifying complicated issues? Perhaps. But the bottom line is still the bottom line: love your neighbor as yourself. May this be our guide ❤️

No comments: