Thursday, October 11, 2012

Happiness Dwells in the Soul

Today is 10-11-12 and the beginning of my blog.  I'm beginning with the subject of happiness. Is it elusive, or is it near at hand?  Since moving to Colorado Springs I've had a lot of time on my hands while looking for a job.  I spend a lot of that time hiking some of the wonderful trails, my favorite and most inspiring place being Cheyenne Canon, a wonder of creation. I've dusted off my sketchbook, pastels and charcoal sticks and begun to draw again, something I'm rusty at but have missed. I've also been seeking God more. I have been happier than I've been in a couple of years. I don't think it is possible to be constantly happy nor should it be.  Without sorrow, how could we experience joy?  Without unhappiness how would we recognize joy when we bump into it?  Further, if possessions, people, success or our personal looks are the objects of our happiness, what happens when we lose those things? However it does seem to be our innate desire to pursue happiness, but where is it?  I like what Thoreau said...



So, back to the title, "happiness dwells in the soul".  The soul is your mind, your will and your emotions.  Aristotle said, "To live happily is an inward power of the soul." So perhaps happiness lies not so much in our circumstances as it does in our attitudes.  What we set our minds on and meditate about, exercising our will to make positive and healthy decisions, and choosing to take control of negative thoughts which really trigger negative emotions (the basis of cognitive behavioral therapy). It's a choice.  So today I choose to sow in myself the seeds of happiness rather than apathy or despair. Happiness can be enhanced by others, but doesn't depend on others. It resides within.  Where do you find happiness?  I find joy in the beauty of the mountains and nature, art, good books, friends, helping others, and most of all my relationship with Jesus Christ.  With God's help that's where my soul will dwell.  Phil. 4:8  "...whatever is true, whatever is honorable, whatever is just, whatever is pure, whatever is lovely, whatever is commendable, if there is any excellence, if there is anything worthy of praise, think about these things."


No comments: