Wednesday, May 10, 2006

Love Sonnet to My Mom

Cheryl Banks and mom in Martha's Vineyard.
In 2006 Sean paid for an all-expenses trip for me and my mom, including airfare and a week in a beautiful bed and breakfast. It was the first time I'd had my mom all to myself and we made so many wonderful memories in this gorgeous location. We were there over July 4th. I wrote this poem for my mom in 2016 for Mother's Day.


Love Sonnet to My Mom (Mother's Day 2016)

A love sonnet to her whose heart is my heart's quiet home.
To my first love - my mother, on whose knee I sat
And gazing into her soft brown eyes
Curled fat baby fingers around her own
And learned love.
Your service to your family has been your special dignity.
You have been my guiding star as I come and go.
You are true north on the compass of my life.
When struggles come in this mortal life and tears flow
It is your prayers that make me whole.
And so, because you love me, and because I feel the same
I have woven this wreath of rhyme
To crown your honored name.

No comments: